Monday 5 November 2007

7 Stages of Security Man - Part 7 - Making it my own

Now I don't pretend for a second that I am at the end of my career, or even at the peak of my abilities, but I am at an important and crucial stage, and from here on in I get to make choices rather than decisions.

Let me put it another way. I have the experience of being a reseller, distributor, security admin for a finance house, an SE, a Product Manager and a Director. I'm currently in a job I really enjoy, basically in charge of 'technical stuff' for Ingrian in the EMEA region. People are queuing up to offer me work, and I am happy to turn them down. I get flown out to San Francisco with my wife in tow. I am honoured to count some security heroes of mine amongst my friends. In short, I have everything I want right now.

I sent a message to my wife this afternoon saying "The bloke we're having lunch with on Thursday just became a multi-millionaire, I am still not one" in an attempt to curb her over-enthusiastic embracing of the beneficial exchange rate. She sent one back saying "Oh, did you want to be one, I'm sure you'll manage" which I took to be encouraging, or wishful at least. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I do, it must be an awful lot of stress. Having what you like and liking what you have is much more important I think.

I think maybe the time is coming where instead of being Security Man, I become something else entirely. I'll never tire of security, but it's taught me so much about business that it seems a shame to ignore it.

No comments:

MadKasting