Wednesday 26 March 2008

Jumping the Safe(ty)Net

Posts have been thin on the ground recently, mainly due to the fact that I've been quite busy, but also due to going on holiday twice this month. It's been great, particularly as I went to Venice and Amsterdam, two of my favourite cities, possibly due to my love of water (not to mention snow!)

It's difficult to write anything at all during an acquisition though. Anything I write could be scrutinized by current or future employers. In fact, I always think it's a good idea to keep on friendly terms with as many people as possible, just in case.

The acquisition of Ingrian by SafeNet has been pushed out by a further week, something to do with contract law which is neither interesting nor relevant, but it means I get to work with my chums for another week at least... as I regret to inform that I have decided not to take up the opportunity to work with SafeNet moving forwards.

Much as I admire SafeNet and think this acquisition will serve them well, I'm just not the right guy for the job. I'm far too big, selfish and stroppy to be a small fish in a big pond. I like start-ups, I like products which might just be fantastic, but no-one really knows about them, or if there's a market for them yet. I like working out what's going to be next, and how, and helping people understand the UK/EMEA Channel. It's something which can be particularly difficult to get to grips with for some reason, but then I guess I've been in it for some time. It's second nature to me, but it's way more complex than my American cousins in particular typically give credit for.

So now I'm talking with the relevant people at SafeNet to arrange some consulting, teaching my knowledge back to the SEs there and completing any half-finished accounts before I head off into the sunset, but I've already got several other irons in the fire. I can't say what they are yet, but I can't wait for RSA. If you're from one of the many SF-based vendors who has already contacted me, I'm really looking forward to meeting up.

If you're one of the few who hasn't, what are you waiting for? Drop me a line...

No comments:

MadKasting