Thursday 3 January 2008

New Year's ideas

Everyone knows that Jesus was not really born on December 25th. Back then they didn't even have calendars, certainly not Gregorian calendars, probably Julian ones, but I'm not sure the Jews were that friendly with the Romans at the time, so possibly they stuck to their own method of time keeping?

So why do we have Christmas when we do? Is it arbitrarily picked from the plethora of available dates to fall a week before the New Year, just so we get an extra long holiday? It must come from some sort of church decree of some sort, but for me it's more of a recovery time. I've spoken to a few people today, and even had a few mails of greeting from the wider community. Most notably, shrdlu got in touch to concur with my sentiment of hibernation.

I suggested we compare notes, swap ideas for things to do, try and get some enthusiasm up and running. Turns out we have loads in common, nothing exciting to do, too much work to spend as much time as we'd like with our partners, no hobbies as such, unless you count blogging, etc...

So, I'm opening the floor to anyone still reading, post me some of your hobbies and ideas for the New Year. If I like any of them I will make them my New Year's resolution, and will send the rest to shrdlu.

No comments:

MadKasting